View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
tubman

Default Re: Need for early condensers?

Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. It's exactly what I was looking for. Since I am not involved with the earlier cars, I really didn't have any idea what was available. It sounds like there is a viable solution, and I don't want to waste anyone's time "re-inventing the wheel". We were originally going to "rebuild" existing condensers by removing the "guts" and replacing them with a better capacitor, but there seems to be a limit on the number of cores available and the old cases are delicate (not to say at least 75 years old) and sometimes disintegrate when we try to disassemble them. There is also a "size vs. capacity" problem; the modern capacitors with the specifications we want are too big to fit in the old cases. The heat from re-soldering them can also pose problems. I will take you up on your offer of a coil as we are flying blind on fitment issues. I'll PM you with the details.

Murre, thanks for the offer; I knew I could count on you, but there's still the cost of shipping. I'll keep you apprised of the situation and will probably take you up on the offer of cores.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote