View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #28
tubman

Default Re: Dealing with the heirs on '32 parts ect.

When you have the amount of stuff most of us have, making lists or detail notes can be overwhelming. What I did was purchase a box of the manilla cardboard tags with the wires for attaching. When I have a bit of time on my hands, I attach one of these tags to a part with a number on it. I have a master key list for the numbers. You can also add a short note on the back, if necessary.

1 - Nothing special, but worthy of a tag.
2 - Common, but might appeal to a number of people for a decent price.
3 - A part that may be in high demand or worth more than you might think
4 - A part that is either hard to find or worth quite a bit.
5 - A part that deserves some real consideration because it's something special.

Obviously, if something doesn't have a tag, it's not much. Attaching the tags is quick and easy, and because of their construction, are quite sturdy. I usually have a pen or marker in my pocket, and once in a while, I will see something that seems out of category, so I'll take 5 seconds and cross out the old number and add a new one. I have talked to my daughter (who is the executor of my will) and, believe me, she doesn't want to waste a lot of time disposing of the old man's crap. I want to make it as easy for her as I can. (I have already gotten rid of a lot of stuff, and the rate of divestiture will certainly rise in the future.)

Unfortunately, I don't have any "5"'s (yet).
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote