View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #729
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
The Airtractor is built a few miles from here...In Olney, Texas. I understand they are a beast to fly, but have a lot of HP for their size...or something like that.
Hi again ETAModel.
my friend Kevin read todays story. Some years ago Kevin and I spent a summer fire bombing in South Australia. Well Kev sent me his story from Olney. here it is.

A nicely put together story thanks Gary, . . . . once again !!.

I was fortunate enough in 1993 to visit the Olney factory with three others, and we had a full guided tour, (pre arranged), of the entire plant, including the airstrip where some new models were parked for testing. Unfortunately/fortunately it was a Friday, and unknown to us before the visit, the staff had Friday's off, so there was no ongoing works in progress to see, but it was infinitely interesting, as engineers and pilots, to see, nevertheless.

Interestingly, in the area where the leading edges of the wings were formed, the guide said that they employ women specifically to do that task, as they had a better eye and feel for the process, and it resulted in a better finish and less wastage.

At that time, Olney was a town that looked like time forgot. Wooden step up sidewalks in the main street, and most of the buildings and shops, (weatherboard style construction, 2 storey), looked in desperate need of some TLC. A sad looking little town, almost straight out of a Western movie, . . . with no horses !!. I think the Airtractor factory was really its saviour.

I remember we went to the local Post Office to send mail, (as you did in those days, . . . for those who remember !!����), and of course we stood out like sore thumbs in there, and generated whispered conversations and furtive glances, because the local customers would know everyone, and we certainly didn't 'fit the mold' !!.

The Postmaster, was a fairly tall, finely built guy, with a drooping black moustache, and the only one working there. He was dressed in a 'typical ?' Texan outfit, 10 gallon hat, nice white shirt with long sleeves, arm bands, cuff links, black string tie with fancy clasp and gold tipped tassle ends, and the usual big buckle belt. He should have been wearing a 'six gun', to complete the picture !!, . . . . and I tell you, it certainly wouldn't have looked out of place, . . . a modern day 'Maverick' !!.

His curiosity had the better of him, as it would there, and when it came our turn to be served, his first words were, in a wonderful laid out Texan drawl, was, "What you Folks doin' in Olney ? . . . . . . . . no one comes to Olney !!", . . . . . . Just beautiful, said it all really !!. ����

Thanks and cheers, have a great day,
Kev

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-05-2019 at 05:52 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote