View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
montanafordman

Default Re: Wierd Farmer fixes

I've got a few. Since I got my 31 coupe from my grandfather, who actually was a farmer in Montana I guess they would qualify.

First off, the frame at one time was bent or damaged, and this was the resulting fix:

There was some evidence of collision damage that I'm sure happened before my grandfather aquired the car since it was in my grandpa's garage for 30 years before he restored it and got it on the road. Whether he did the repair I don't know, but the guy he bought it from was also a farmer so there you go!

Now here are the radiator support rods. You can see the end had broken or bent, and was replaced with a welded on peice with different size threads.

Here you can see the steering column had cracked and was welded up with some metal scraps for reinforcement.

Here it looks like my crank pulley had broken and was welded back together.

My grandpa had a AA radiator in his garage and when he found it wouldn't fit the radiator shell it looks like he cut out the top to accomodate the thicker AA radiator which has the filler neck placed slightly farther back.

I saw this picture in an Ebay auction and thought of this thread. It looks like someone put a water spigot in the fuel line to solve a leaky fuel shutoff valve. (For what its worth I had an extra petcock on my fuel line just outside the strainer for the same reason on my car)

While these things can be a source of frustration when fixing an 81+ year old car they can also be entertaining! You can't help but appreciate what sort of use these cars have seen and the hardships they've endured over the years. Some of us are afraid to drive them in the rain yet they were just tools to the generations that originally bought them and saw some hard times and hard use. You can also appreciate the ingenuity of those that did what they could to keep it working, either from a lack of parts, time or lack of money.