View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Talking Re: Questions on Dwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Bored and Stroked. You are funny. I asked the dwell meter, and it said to ask someone that knows. You got a red clip and a black clip, figure it out. I don't have a distributor machine, so I can only go old school, set the points and put it on the engine. The engine idles nice and steady at 500RPM, pulls good and has a nice steady vacuum at idle. So 42 deg. is not good?
I guess you are funny too. You don't need a distributor machine to setup the points as I mentioned above. You can do exactly as I said - while cranking the engine over (even though it is a bit "crowded" in the front of the engine and you have a fan that needs to be removed). This is how "old school" did it when using a dwell meter - with the distributor in the car. Now - if you're doing it on the bench with point-gap, then you get what you get in the end . . .

Your current dwell of 42 is a combined dwell of both points . . . if it runs fine and you're happy, then so be it. However, if you want to setup the dwell as it should be setup . . . then I've explained how.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote