View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
dumb person

Default Re: Adding disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You have stated what you are going to do. A few will offer info on how to do that.
More will spend a lot of time trying to convince you that you should do it their way. Most of the info these people offer is usually useless.

I can help you on the disc brakes and steering. I have done several of these conversions.
For the brakes I use Wilwood kits. Their parts fit like they should with no machine work.
For power steering on a solid axle front end, I use a power assist cylinder
from either a early 60's Nash or 60's Ford. They have a linear type control valve built in the cylinder so you don't have to modify anything in the original steering system. This eliminates any possibility of developing bump steer as most other systems are prone to on a solid axle. Makes for keeping the car a little more original also. Once you mount the cylinder, all you need is to mount a pump on the engine and a small tank (1 pint) somewhere convenient.
Pete sounds like he knows his stuff, i would do as he said.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote