View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
M2M

Default Re: Late 31 with no rear shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Have you tested that your front shocks even work properly?

I was taught with a regular arm on it the shock should take a lot of effort to move the full range and less in the other direction.

A few years ago I was given enough details to make something close to the KRW tester. It was supposed to take like 15 seconds for the weight to fall a certain number of degrees. Well the shocks I thought were good only took a few seconds to fall.

Kind of sent me back to the drawing board.

If you have good springs on the car then it should not be drivable over 30 MPH without shocks. The car will feel it is about to fly off the road, really uncomfortable. This was after tearing down a decent used set of springs and lubing them. This was based on my experiences with a couple of cars.

As soon as I put a set of my old definition of working shocks on the front of my 30 fordor the car would run 60 comfortably.

It is rare that I see what I consider good front springs at my local shows. They are usually showing rust and all sitting too low. Then again all these people think 45 is the top speed of their cars too.

No, I haven't got as far as the front shocks. Both the springs are not lubed so the car is not bouncy even at 50mph despite no rear shocks but the hide is harsh.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote