View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
fordcragar

Default Re: Need to replace oxy-acetylene torch set

If you liked your Airco torch, get it rebuilt.

My first torch was a MECO Jet; which is lightweight and not clunky. I tried to buy a cutting torch for it in the mid 1960’s and was offered a good trade in for a new Victor 100. I liked the Victor and still use it today, for some things. Over the years working in different body shops I had the use of some torches that I liked better.

I remember when the Dillon (Henrob) came out in the 1970’s, all of the articles about them seemed like they were a great deal, but a torch that I couldn’t afford then. Over the years I’ve heard of more of them sitting on shelves than being used. Fast forward to ten years ago, I had an opportunity to watch a couple of Henrob demos and bought one. It is awkward and clunky but has some nice features. I heard that some people just can’t weld with them, but maybe they can’t gas weld with anything else either.

A couple of years ago, I saw a MECO Jet torch body at a swap meet for $1; which I bought. It took me a while to find a cutting head and all of the needed welding tips, but this was and is my favorite welding torch.

So I still use my old Victor, the Henrob and the MECO Jet. To swap back and forth I have quick change fittings on everything.

If you still decide to get a different torch set up, try it before you buy.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote