View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #100
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcbx View Post
So Ronnie, on your blown engines do run 25 d at full boost?? Mine runs 5lbs of boost but as stated my boost retard scales it back anywhere from 1 to 3 d per pound of boost. I usually set it for 2 d so that brings my total advance back to 16 total advance. I have not tried setting it back to say 1 d per lb. This is what Mark Kirby (RIP) suggested when this engine was built in the 90's. I will give it a try at 1 deg.. There is 30,000 miles on this engine and it has been quite reliable so far putting out excellent power.
Yes I go to 25 max with no boost retard. But to do this you need gas that has to have a high octane rating.

When I was running my 258 CI flathead with a 671 GMC blower combination on the street when I felt the need to beat on the engine I would use 100NL gas from the local airport. I had lots of street miles on that engine in the thousands like yours.

That 258 cube engine powered my Land Speed Lakester race car. When I converted the Lakester to a Rear Engine Modified Roadster for testing I used that little old 258 engine. Testing on a runway in Maine resulted in a speed of 171 MPH the record on the salt flats at the time was 138. Still to this day I do not use any ignition retard with the race engine combination I can tell you the boost seen with the blower combinations I run are well over 10.

My flathead and ARDUN blower street combinations also put out boost higher than 5 lbs with no ignition retard being used.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote