View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
Synchro909

Default Re: Model B crank in Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
A touring upgrade? use the B crankshaft,cut the main journals to 1.600.Use B rods for the added bearing support(bigger journal). Cut ten pounds off the A flywheel to compensate for the added weight of the crankshaft.Flywheel mass stores kinetic energy,provides smooth shifting and reduces driveline vibration.You can cut another 10lbs if you want for 20 total.If using a stock A trans the lighter flywheel allows you to shift faster (rev up and down quicker).

People end up paying big money for things they dont need,and fail to buy the things they do need.A well built stock model A lower end will provide years of service,take the money and put it where it really helps,compression,fuel and cam.
Having caught a cracked crank shaft on a Modle A motor JUST short of breaking, I like the idea of something sturdier. Another solution is to fit one of those new counterweighted A cranks (Burlington or Scat).
Otherwise, I can't fault your last paragraph. Better performance always comes down to the three Cs. Carb, Cam and Compression. Better durability is another thing!
I think it should be pointed out (no one has yet) that if the main bearing journals are turned down as much as would be required to fit a B or C crank in an A block, they will have to be hardened again afterwards.