View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
larrys40

Default Re: differential assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
As I add and subtract gaskets to adjust the preload I find that I am up- to 62 thousands worth of gaskets on the one side of the pumpkin and it still cannot be turned with my fingers on the ring gear. If I back off of the bolts to about 10 foot pounds it spins like a windmill. Should I be looking for a problem somewhere. Thanks in advance. Jack

I suspect the bearings are not driven on or are fully seated. This could be because they are not driven on fully, or because there is a burr on a carrier half ( or both). If you tried to use a chisel or other instrument to take them off that could easily happen. Take a feeler gauge like an .002 and see if you can insert it anywhere under the bearing seat. You should not be able to anywhere.... on either side.

Make sure the races are seated fully. Same thing.

You can use a small inspection mirror and light and ensure they look OK. Use an old race upside down if you need to give them a knock in. You can and will hear the ring when seated. Again, any burrs will do it.

Your base gasket will probably be about .010 to .015 or so per side. Variance plus or minus from there. Also ensure your housing gasket surfaces don't have issues. Take a flat file and run around the surface to ensure no high spots.. etc. Do the same to the banjo housing. Ensure all filings, shavings, etc are cleaned from everywhere!
after having done hundreds of flathead ford rear axles I know you will find the issue. Keep a keen eye on the details of the parts and be methodical and patient.

By the way, Joe's reference.... the "B" carriers are like the "A" except the have the B- part number stamped on them and are in fact 9 bolts like the "A". Shouldn't matter though.

Keep us posted please.

All the best!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote