View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Flathead deck height

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Unless you are ordering special pistons, deck height is not listed for flathead pistons. I find that most of the pistons bought these days end up with the edge of the piston below the deck. Not ideal, but that is what you get these days.
This is especially true in modern SBCs, SBFs, etc.. By having the piston "down in the hole" a bit, they didn't have to worry about quench as much and pistons won't be hitting heads (especially the 'smog motor era'). It is kind of a "punt" by the manufacturers - starting with GM and Ford themselves.

I 'zero and square deck' almost everything I build - because I want my quench to be exactly what it needs to be. I usually run about a .040 quench on SBC type engines as well - and with a stocking piston, that usually means the block has to be decked. In the higher quality forged pistons, they will specify the exact Compression Height - end the builder must figure out if they want to use that piston, deck the block or find another piston (if it is down in the hole a bit).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote