View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #40
lookin-backtexas

Wink Re: Our Model A wreck in Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I guess my immediate advice is;
1) Get to the hospital and have Sean & Lane thoroughly checked-out by the hospital.

2) Obtain a copy of the Police Report which should establish fault and the other party's Insurance Co. info.

3) Get in touch with Fred Carlton in Georgetown, --or Ross Lilliker in College Station to start learning of options available from local shops/hobbyists.

4) Contact the other party's Ins. Company to determine how they want to proceed. Knowing #3 allows them to know the options too.

5) Let the Ins. Co Adjuster make the next move on how they want to proceed.

6) Explore the options on how Sean & Lane want to proceed, ...and then ask for help here.

Personally, I feel the car is hurt severely and it appears the damages are greater than the market value. With that said, I suspect it could be band-aided up with some outside help from locals and some perseverance where it could complete the trip, ...albeit crippled. Maybe someone knows of a replacement Coupe for sale in the area that Sean could purchase and be on his way??
Brent: I have had six phone conversations with Sean so far this morning and have provided him with the telephone number of a certified antique car appraisal firm in Austin. We'll take care of these "vagabonds" and hopefully get them to their original destination in time to perform. I have offered to store the "remains" in my barn until they can retrieve them. One of our local Lone Star Model A Ford Club members is also a bluegrass mandolin player and performs at venues like they were trying to get to in Louisiana so they have kindred spirits locally who can come to their rescue.

I told Sean his story reminds me of why we all love Model A'ing and how others become part of your "extended family". When I was editor of The Restorer I published an article about a guy from southern California who was driving his Model A from California to Virginia to attend his 50th high school reunion. He had owned an A when in high school and it was important to him that he show up driving a Model A at the reunion. He made it as far as Arkansas and had engine problems. He looked in the MAFCA roster (always carry one in your car!) and called a guy he had never met and told him where he was - in 30 minutes or so the guy showed up with a flatbed trailer, loaded the car and took it to his house. They evaluated the situation, he told the story of where he was going and why it was important to be there in a Model A and the guy said, "I've got a spare engine over here, let's swap engines." He ended up spending the night at the Samaritan's home, they installed the new engine and he was on his way. He made it to the 50th reunion and when he was enroute home, he stopped at the guy's house in Arkansas and by that time the Samaritan had repaired his original engine - they swapped engines and he made it safely back to California.

Fred Carlton
Georgetown, Texas (just outside Austin)
Editor of The Restorer magazine, official publication of MAFCA 12 years
Life Member Dallas Model A Ford Club (44 years)
23 year member & founder Lone Star Model A Ford Club
Chairman 35th Model A Ford Texas Tour 1998 (state convention)
Chairman 42nd Model A Ford Texas Tour 2005 (state convention)
Charter Member Ford Model AA Truck Club
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!
lookin-backtexas is offline   Reply With Quote