View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #38
tubman

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake197000 View Post
you may have washed the oil off the cylinders causing low comp.if your sure cam timing and ignition timing are correct pull the plugs makr sure they are dry.oil the cylinders and try pull starting it ive done it many times to get one going.
I don't agree with this at all. I have done two fresh rebuilds in the last year and have had no problems getting them started. I set the timing with an ohmeter, filled the bowls through the vent, and both started almost immediately. In my experience, if you have trouble starting a fresh engine, there is a problem. Find and solve that problem rather than resorting to extreme methods. I found this out the hard way many years ago. Luckily, it didn't cost me a lot, because it was a snowmobile engine. I honed it and put in new rings, bolted the rest together and tried to start it. I almost tore my arm off and resorted to dumping gas in the carb and sprayed staring fluid until the cows came home. Finally it fired and ran. For 30 seconds. Then it self-destructed. It turned out to be improperly installed piston rings. A fresh engine should not be a problem to start. Your method is OK with "field cars" I guess, but I wouldn't do it with a fresh build.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote