View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #20
37 Coupe

Default Re: Henry Fords Pay Scale

A lot of Henry Fords "genoristy" had to do with whittling down profits so shareholders would not see any gain and eventually sell their shares back to Ford.This was certainly the case with the Model A buyers rebates after the sales year. Years ago at the car show that used to be at Ford Field by the Ford Mercury Club in Dearborn an old timer told me he had worked at Ford before the union and after. He was a machinist as I was and told me the $5.00 per day may have been more for assembly line workers than what he did.As a machinist he was paid for piece work and the carrot dangling was always moving to higher quotas. He said he once worked for Chrysler or mayby it was someone else he had worked with but when Henry announced the $5.00 per day some quit Chrysler and went to work at Rouge.Supposedly Chrysler was a much better work environment and the machine shop foreman told migrating workers to only take a few tools with them and leave their tool boxes in the shop as they would not be gone long and many were not.