Thread: just curious
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: just curious

Mike, personally I think my recommendations are gonna go against the grain of what others here are going to suggest, but IMO you first need to decide whether the intent is to get there as fast as you can, -or take one extra day and travel at a slower pace to see the sights.

Now this is where this is going to get controversial, but I am going to suggest a different combination for these type trips. I would go with a babbitted engine instead of an inserted engine for the main reason that should you encounter a bearing issue on the road at some point, a babbitted engine can be limped a long way, and then it can generally be repaired in a hotel parking lot by adjusting shims. When you hear a loose bearing on an insert engine, you need to find a way to transport it home.

My suggestion is for you to consider a package very closely aligned with stock Model-A parts. My reasoning is that in almost every town across the country you can find someone who owns a Model-A that has some parts that they can sell/loan you to get yourself home. Personally, I would go with a babbitted bottom end, a 6.0 CR cylinder head, an IB330 camshaft, and O/S intake valves. Have whomever rebuilds it to blueprint the engine to exacting standards with the clearances including tappet bores, piston bores, guides, etc. The same detail needs to be spent on balancing all of the reciprocating items. An engine with properly poured babbitt and proper clearances will go 50k miles very reliably.

Since we are spec-ing out stuff, use a stock-type ignition system and a rebuilt 6v generator for electrical power. Install a new, quality-made reproduction wiring harness and purchase a rebuilt original Ammeter to install. If you are going to disassemble & check the transmission, then install new bearings if it is not making any peculiar noises now. For the rear end, just install a 3.54 Ring & Pinion and inspect the housings and restore if out of specs.

My point in saying all of the above is do NOT get sucked into believing you need all the modern electronic ignitions, overdrives, 16" wheels, fuel pumps, etc. to have a reliable touring car. With the babbitted engine which has been blueprinted by an engine rebuilder who knows how to do a good job, you will find your Fordor will effortlessly cruise all day at 55 mph without a problem HOWEVER here is what you need to think thru. If you take a 2,000 mile trip in your Sedan and average traveling at 42 mph instead of 50 mph, that slower speed only takes less than one day longer to make the entire trip (6 days instead of 5 days.) -and if that extra night of lodging costs you $150.00, it is still WAY cheaper than a Mitchell. Plus, when you average 42 mph, you can still easily cover over 325 miles in a day if you need to. My point is if you are looking to make a whirlwind trip, just go ahead and drive your modern vehicle. On the other hand, if you are wanting to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery only found on the secondary roads, then don't waste money trying to make your car drive as fast as a modern vehicle or you will speed right on by that scenery and miss it all.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote