View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
bobH

Default Re: Can't remove fly wheel without removing engine? 59A

[QUOTE=Old Col;852487]...see anything alarming?...yep, the pressure plate is trashed. All those little marks represent hard spots in the surface,and often they will have little cracks surrounding them. It's a common occurence with "rebuilt' plates . We have the same problems here trying to source quality parts , the rebuilds generally amount to resurfacing a previously worn out pressure plate like yours to give it a fresh surface for the clutch to work against ,but doing that doesn't fix sub-surface imperfections like yours,plus it removes thickness from the pressure plate which can have an adverse effect on the clamping pressure of the unit......and then you have to hope the pressure springs and levers are all rebuilt and set correctly as part of the rebuild process. If you are able ,find yourself a new or even a NOS clutch and pressure plate assembly in favor of questionable quality rebuilds, good luck, Colin.[/QUOTE

Colin has it covered... I would add, clean the flywheel, see if it looks like the PP. If it does, flywheel will need to be surfaced. Hope that it doesn't.
Then 'scuff' it (flywheel). Conservative approach is to bite the bullet, and remove the pan, remove the flywheel and surface it. Your call, but if it were me, I'd have a good look at the flywheel, and I'd be tempted to gamble, if I didn't see any hard spots, and if it cleaned up good. I'm sometimes a gambler, and sometimes I get 'bit'. And, a side-note, if the last guy did not surface it 'square', you wouldn't be able to see it, and, it would likely chatter. That's what you're trying to fix, right?
Second, yes, I see something that doen't work for me. And, I'm a little surprised, as I respect Mac VP's judgement and parts. It's the disc. What I see there is 'black' in color. That says to me, 'modern', current manufacture, and 'hard'. And, my experience with these has been dismal, at best. I've had nothing but bad luck with them, a definite chatter in my cars. So, what I've done for my own cars, I've watched the seller sites (ebay and the barn), and I've waited until I could find a disc that is NOS, meaning that it is old enough to NOT be black in color. The OLD ones are generally a dark grey, or grey-brown, and a softer material, and they are said to probably have asbestos in them. A good thing, in my thinking. In any event, they have worked great for me.
Then, when I get what I believe to be a good old disc, then I take the disc to my local clutch rebuilder, a Clutch Masters, and they MATCH the disc to the pressure plate. I generally buy the pressure plate from them. However, I've had one recent occasion where I took both the PP and disc to them, without buying anything, and had them match the two. They didn't seem to have a problem with that, although maybe it was sort of a 'favor' since I'm a regular customer. Another side-note... By 'match', I mean they match the thickness of my disc, to the PP. (And, of course, set the 'finger' height properly.)
Doing it this way, I've gotten rid of all the clutch chatter problems I used to have with my 47, and 34 that I have. Of course, all the rest of the 'system' has to be right, too. - U-joint TT cups tight, trans mount and motor mounts in good shape, etc, etc.
JMO, and... best wishes
edit... forgot, Clutch Masters balance's everything for me - flywheel, disc, PP. Prices are quite reasonable.

Last edited by bobH; 04-03-2014 at 12:04 AM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote