View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Things NOT to do with a Zenith carb-for your enjoyment!

Over the years I have worked on my carbs. I know nothing about what to do with them. So I try to read the books, look up stuff on FB but I succeed in messing up more carbs. So thought I would share some of the real screw ups.

1. Don't forget to tighten the drain plug on the bottom of the carb. It WILL fall out when you drive. Did this, was driving along and had problem. Pulled out choke and made it all the way home without the plug in carb.

2. When working on more than one carb at a time, and you have the parts spread out on your workbench, don't forget to put the venturi tube back in the carb you are working on. I put the carb on the rig, started it up after a lot of choking, and it RAN! Could not figure out why it ran badly. After finding two venturis on my bench, I knew why. That is the rig RAN WITHOUT the venturi tube in the carb! You may not believe this but it is true!

3. When trying to find out why gas leaked out the back of the carb where the choke is, I thought I would check out where this might be coming from. Thought I had better tighten the cap jet a little tighter because thought that may be where it was leaking. Well tight is tight! When to tight, you strip the threads in the lower body of the carb and you then really get a leak out the back of the carb!

4. Thought it would be a good idea to put a number of gaskets under the main jet to keep it from leaking. Well then it is to low and the gas flows out the back of the carb!

Well hope I did not bore you all with my stupidity working on carbs. But it has been a learning curve!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote