View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #49
cas3

Default Re: Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

yes, thanks for the update. a sad story, especially where parts are not available, and shipping heavy parts is not a good alternative. sad to say your spring shop screwed up twice, dont go back there. reversing the eyes on a spring is childs play really, its been done at home by amateur hotrod builders for decades. you need a press, a common tool even in africa i presume, and some time, and thats it. no great skill, you learn as you go. if you google "reverse eyes spring hamb" several threads will show up, and i believe you should find some youtube video's as well. i will give you the basics, but study some google threads and you will see it can be done quite easily. first, you trace the spring with chalk on the floor in the shop. a little more difficult due to the curved spring of a 34, but figure it out. maybe a wood template? whatever, next, mark with chalk every inch across the whole spring. next put the spring in the press on some thing to allow you to press a bend. i use a piece of 6" channel iron. next use a round thing to do the actual pressing, i use an old generator case, but some thing round and strong. next you start pressing a little bit on each one inch increment all the way across the spring. you will not see much happening at first, thats good, just keep going back and forth and slowly it starts to show you are bending the spring. when you start getting close to the arch you started with, then check it against your pattern you drew on the floor. when its all done clamp it in a vise with a strait edge, as in a piece of angle iron or heavy iron that is STRAIGHT, with the bolt hole in the spring center EXACTLY in the center of your vise jaws, and measure out to the spring eyes to make sure they both measure the same so the car sits level, unlike the 34 i'm lookin at rite now that sits crooked because some one didnt check they're work (we wont mention names) . if its not rite, then back to the press until it is. keep in mind when you reverse a spring in this method they get slightly longer, so in the end you may want to be sure you end up with the desired 45% angle on your spring shackles. this can be adjusted by heating and bending the the spring mounts on the axle housing, just make an effort to keep them square with the spring. its easy, you can do it, and dont go to that spring shop ever again
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote