View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #776
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The life and times of Woofa.

I was having dinner with my work friend Annette. She had a stumpy tail foxie named Betsy. One could clearly see the happy disposition of this pup. My memory took me back to my childhood when my dogs were foxies. They were fun, good company and our whole family enjoyed them. Besides fun they had taunacity and courage. So when I saw the character of Annette’s pup I decided I too must have one. So through Annette I acquired one of Betsy’s litter mates and named him Woofa.

The mother was the fox terrier and the sire the fastest dog on the street, a stumpy tail Smithfield. He came from Euabalong which is about 40 miles west of Condobolin with a population fewer than 200. When one acquires a pup one can train it but has to suffer the growing up behaviour such as holes appearing in the yard and shoes missing from the back door. But it’s worth it.

Woofa lived in a small freezer. It had a round hole cut in the side at eye height so he always knew who was coming and going. Being a freezer it is insulated well and warm in winter and not heat soaked in summer. The bedding was sheep skins and he ate from stainless steel pots. If you think that is pampering just realise Woofa gave me his all and I was pleased to care well for him. He would fetch balls, sticks anything I threw and do everything I asked of him.. He was not permitted in the house but would wait at the door, ball in mouth and drop it inside as soon as the door would open. Patsy or I would throw it away and within seconds he would be back with it again. He would never tire. He’d never wag his tail, everything aft of his rib cage would wag rapidly, almost vibrate.

Woofa was not permitted in the motor cars either but with one exception. The Ford Model A. When I walked in that direction of that motor car he was under my feet for fear of missing a ride. I have named the vehicle “woofa express” in his honour.

I’d feed him in the evening so he always came willingly to his dwelling. He’d jump up on the freezer to save me bending over. When it had rained and that’s a rarity these days, he’d skid right across the top and tumble over the opposite edge. I was always waiting for this amusing unintentional antic.

Woofa met his fate on 20th June 2017. We get so little traffic up our street which ends only 40 yards past our house. But he was playing catch me with a guest’s dog and simply didn’t look. He was taken out by a Nissan and I haven’t liked Nissans since. I miss him badly. Don’t dogs give us so much pleasure? Don't you miss them when they've gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa.JPG (42.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tick.JPG (16.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg blank.JPG (16.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nissan.JPG (35.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cross.JPG (37.7 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote