Thread: Radiator puzzle
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
Benson

Default Re: Radiator puzzle

See photo in post #4

Using "HARD" tap water with calcium instead of distilled water to mix with antifreeze will cause this ...

This used to be a problem with the company cars (small block Chevy) until we STOPPED using tap water. I got over 300,000 miles after started using distilled water on the 2nd radiator.

NO deposits!

We had over 50 company cars here in town.

My first one did not make it to 100,000 before it clogged with calcium deposits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
It's not that much of a big deal to remove your rad and refit the one on offer, so I'd be tempted by that offer, given the price. But it's a can of worms. You don't know what it's like inside. Here's a photo of the core I just removed from mine, after starting to have some overheating issues. I had previously tried flushing with detergent, as I 4.knew I had greasy deposits in the system, but hadn't tried anything for the rust deposits. I was quite horrified when I saw the rust deposits on top of the tubes, with only a small number of tubes even open! That stuff was as hard as rock. I doubt whether a vinegar flush would have shifted it. In retrospect, I should have bit the bullet earlier, spent the $$ and got back to enjoyable motoring instead of stuffing around.

Last edited by Benson; 07-26-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote