View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: 8BA without trans bell housing?

8BA family had a lot of differnt half bells and bell housings. The Mercury used pressed steel half bells from 1949 thru early 1951. The pickups & trucks used them through 1952 but they were cast iron so that they could accept the larger 11-inch clutch if needed. The Fords used a full pressed steel bell housing from 1948 through 1951. Ford used cast iron bells from 1952 thru 53 and Mercury from late 51 thru 53. Pickups made a big change in 1953 for the F100 series intro.

Canada did a lot of things differently. I've seen transmissions in some Canadian trucks that had no half bell due to it being an integral part of the transmission. There is a lot of stuff I don't know about the Canadian trucks which is what that engine seems to be from. The oil pan appears to have the structure for the aluminum dust seal that the trucks had. In Canada, it can be from a Ford or a Mercury truck too since they had a full line of Mercury trucks as well as the Ford line up.

I don't know if New Process was even making anything for light or intermediate Ford trucks in that era. They certainly have made a lot of transmissions and transfer cases in the modern era for light & intermediate trucks/pickups. The NP435 transmission is one. They were under Chrysler control after 1954 or so but everything is different now days. New Venture was joint deal between GM & Chrysler.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-28-2019 at 04:01 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote