View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #24
77Birdman

Default Re: So you have an all original car...OK...

I have been involved in this debate on other forums. If you go all the way back to post #2 this is my opinion on the subject. Wear items should be considered as ok to replace and still retain 'originality'. I doubt many of us know the original owners, especially going back to the late 20's, so if someone in the cars infancy replaced a dented fender, or put on a new wheel that may have been dented in a rut without our positive knowledge, that is still original IMO. Cleaning grease is ok, replacing 1929 air in the tire is ok, but removing engines, removing bodies, replacing wood, is not original. The AACA has a HPOF (or something like that) class for 'original cars'. Their guideline is pretty good, they do allow replacement components though IF they are period correct.

I get a kick out of old car ads that say 'factory original', or 'survivor' and then go on to say 'only 1 repaint' or motor rebuilt'. Although I did hear someone say that if the car didnt go into the crusher then it IS a survivor, I cant argue that!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote