View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #15
lake_harley

Default Re: Steering question

deuce295....I think you might have posted on another site with the same question? In post #9 you hit it exactly right with what's causing your problem. Since the drag link angles outward from the centerline of the frame, the stock Model A steering arm has the arm/drag link pivot slightly ahead of the vertical axle centerline to form a 90 degree angle from the kingpin to the pivot of the steering arm/drag link pivot back to the pitman arm pivot with the wheels straight ahead and steering box centered. I'm guessing you have a regular aftermarket "wishbone" type steering arm on the later spindles that has the drag link pivot directly above the axle centerline. That doesn't provide the 90 degree angle "centered" relationship so the geometry and movement is not the same in both directions. You're probably not nearly the first one who has had this issue but you might be one of a few who noticed it and want to do something about it if possible.

I'm working on my Model A front end the last few days and the stock steering arm/drag link pivot point is about 3/4" to 1" ahead of the axle centerline on my '31.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote