View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: Main and Rod Shim Sequence ???

This is the one problem with the de-shimming theory of repair. The centerlines of the bearing bores gradually go off center as they wear. If one wears a lot more than the others no mater which direction of oblongation, it puts the crank in a bind when you deshim the mains since it will still be off center. Rods are not so much a problem in this respect.

My last boss was an Army retiree. Back in the 50s when he was changing MOS from truck driver to aviation mechanic, he was going through school for a several months as I did when I was in the Army. One of his classmates wasn't too far away from home and he had an old model A to drive back & forth. After each trip his center main was starting to knock. He would go around the billets and find someone that needed some new boots so he could get there old ones and cut the tongue out of them. He would pull the pan off and put the tongue piece in the center main and bolt it back up. He would take off on the weekend and come back knocking each time. I guess this lasted quite a while because my old boss got out of the school and never saw the guy again but the car was still operational. I though I was conservative but that would have been just too much work for me.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote