View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #318
Kube

Default Re: Interest in new restoration project thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Kube, so did you cut the panels out and TIG or MIG weld the panels back in or replace the whole floor? Also, when you added material for the trunk lid edge, what process did you use? I have a lot of rust repair on my '37 to tackle. I am trying to build up my skills on items that will not be visible before I attempt the more obvious areas.

Thanks for the great photos.
Hey Zeke,
I do cut out as much of the floor as necessary. The front section (floor) of this car was pretty decent so I left it in and repaired as necessary. A lot of bumping and filing but little rust to deal with.
This car had a decent tail pan - decent. However, as I had to do a LOT of work on the trunk floor as well as the auxiliary seat area floor, it (tail pan with trunk pan) was replaced.

The pan beneath the auxiliary seat area is not reproduced and as such, that took a lot of effort to make it as new once again. A number of new pieces were fabricated.
I MIG all of the sheet metal. Slowly of course, an inch or so here and then and inch or so "over there". I allow plenty of time for each are to cool back to room temperature prior to going any further with the welding.
I butt weld where the pan requires (as authentic) a one piece appearance. There are a couple of lap joint welds on some of these cars. When one is encountered, I mimic that.
Welding the edge of a trunk lid is easy but very time consuming. Here too, I MIG. Once I believe I am done, I'll grind the newly placed welds down and occasionally need to add more in a spot or three.

Hope this helps...