View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #753
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Hugh’s Motor Car. Chapter 3

Not long ago, I learned that it’s not a good idea to drive on old tyres. I’d fitted 14 inch by 7 inch rims, bought new Bridgestone tyres in 1995, all to give better grip. BUT, in 2012 I drove it from Grafton to Newcastle. Just outside Kempsey, doing 70 mph while showing off to those modern cars that these old girls still had it in them, a rear tyre suddenly deflated. The steering went haywire and I barely managed to pull over, but if that had been a front tyre I’d have bought the farm for sure. The rubber valve had perished and released the air.

I avoid driving it to town when I’m in a hurry because FJs are great conversation starters. You can get earbashed and trapped by some old stooge (like myself) who once owned one. One old guy said to me “you know mate, these cars weren’t all that good. They rusted too easily.” I replied “I rebuilt this one from a wreck so I’m well aware how bad they were.” Being conversation starters is understandable because in their day, FJs had 50% of the market, becoming part of the Australian psyche. I’ve lost count of the offers I’ve had from prospective buyers.

Two days ago, my wife came home with car trouble. Her newish Lexus V6, 4WD had lost all its cooling water. Inspection under the hood revealed that a plastic spigot below the radiator filler cap had snapped off inside the rubber hose clamped onto the spigot. (Pictured) The entire engine had been spray painted with coolant. It looked like a simple repair but sadly, no. The entire radiator is plastic, the filling point and it’s two spigots are inseparable. The radiator needed replacing, and the final bill came to $715! The reality of owning a modern luxury car came to my wife, but there was more to come. The battery had to be removed to access the radiator, so all the computer presets had been lost. Electric windows, electric sunroof, seat presets and more. Previously, when driving she could answer phone calls by pressing the screen to talk hands free. That needs a dealer to reset as well. BUT, this is all about technology and progress. Where would we be without these great innovations?

When I purchased my FJ wreck, it had no radiator. A $3 used one from a wrecker was fitted and this day it (as well as the two used rubber hoses) has never failed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh fj front end.JPG (61.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg hugh's radiator.JPG (33.4 KB, 7 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote