View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #752
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Hugh’s motor car. Chapter 2

My relationship with FJs began in 1955. My dad purchased his (and the family’s) first car; an Elk Blue FJ Special sedan. I was 9 years old.

When I turned 12, dad decided it was time for me to learn driving, so together we took to the streets of Sydney. I sat on two pillows so I could see over the steering wheel. Police were tolerant in 1959; they knew the driver was underage but just gave my dad a wink and a nod, waving us on. Cops could be nice and reasonable in 1959 because crime was much less.

My first car was a VW beetle, not a great car, and FJs were a dying breed. Despite being almost extinct, I’d look longingly at the few survivors still on the road. As luck would have it, my opportunity to own one happened in 1976. A work colleague from Penrith had an FJ wreck on an adjacent vacant block — I could have it for $20, my golden opportunity had arrived!

However, In 1976, I had kids, a wife and a mortgage, not a great time to begin car restorations. Money was tight, missing parts needed to be sourced, chrome plating bumpers and grilles was costly, so I became client to many wrecker’s yards. The missing mechanical bits were replaced by the least worst parts I could find; brake linings, voltage regulator, starter, generator, wheel bearings, carburettor, etc etc. I had to buy a gas welding kit and teach myself how to use it. Restoring a car this way took me ages — like 18 long years with detractors saying “get rid of that piece of shit, you’ll never finish it.”

I added some modifications during the rebuild. Front and rear sway bars, an extra leaf on the rear springs, an alloy camshaft gear, twin carbies, extractors, seal beam headlights plus a 12 volt conversion. Not to mention a full 2 inch stainless steel exhaust. The car was fully rust proofed everywhere, something the factory never did. I took the body back to bare metal and had the final paint applied by an experienced panel beater.

I first re registered my two tone (Mist Grey with Gander Grey roof, original colours) FJ Special in 1994. It’s been constantly running and registered ever since. I’ve clocked up 21,000 miles in 25 years, it still goes like the clappers and looks good.
The picture is the rear end of Hugh's FJ and Hugh reckons it's sexy.
chapter 3 continues tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh's fj 5.jpg (44.3 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote