View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
1MercMan78

Default Re: 1950 Mercury new member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just one point of clarification. You mentioned a "new rack and pinion" in your original post. It doesn't look like the kind of car someone would have put a replacement steering gear in. Does it actually have a rack and pinion steering gear or perhaps just a new or rebuilt steering box?

I actually haven't even checked that out yet. The car has been in Florida at my buddys shop and I fly down from Texas on my free weekends to work on it. I was looking at an email from the guy I bought it from and he said new rack and pinion but perhaps he meant a new gearbox. All I have done so far is flush the engine out, changed rear diff seal, changed all fluids (except trans thats brand new oil), new belts, dropped gas tank to flush out, rebuilt carb, rebuilt master cyl, and then we took it for a short drive 2 weeks ago. When I fly down it's only on my weekends off so I can give like one full 12 hour days worth of stuff done then I fly back to Texas. I just want it drive-able and safe when I get it home. I don't have access to all the tools and a lift here that's why it is still in Florida.

After the owner died it sat in a climate controlled shop in Miami for at least 12 years before they decided to sell it. It is in incredible condition. On my last trip we pulled both water pumps to rebuild and a pulley broke in the press. While I was waiting on replacement he sent radiator off to get redone and the guy said it was beyond replacement. So now I have to wait another week until I can go back and put those and a new aftermarket radiator back in and then I am shipping it back to Texas. It still has the original overhaul manual. Pretty cool technology for 70 years old. Its been a very exciting learning process so far. Except when it comes to replacement parts....

Last edited by 1MercMan78; 09-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.
1MercMan78 is offline   Reply With Quote