View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Old Henry

Default Re: Pikes Peak, Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
Great trip! Have you ever thought about adding a helper for the cooling on such trips?
I know some model A guys put an extra washer bottle/pump and direct it in front of the radiator with a sprayer, or drilled tube. One flip if the switch and your engine temp will go down 15-20 degrees.
Thanks for the suggestion.

What I really need to do is just figure out what it is under the hood that is heating up and partially failing. I don't think it could be the fuel pump. It's not like vapor lock that just kills the engine dead like it's out of gas. Besides, I've got an electric fuel pump to switch on whenever I suspect that. It doesn't solve the stumbling/stuttering problem. It's something new I haven't experienced before. The engine temperature itself is not excessive. It's something else.

One thing I'll do if it happens again is hook up my timing light to the high voltage output of the coil and lay the light on my windshield to watch as I drive to see what, if anything, happens to the spark. Then I can at least determine whether it's spark or fuel.

If the problem is spark I'll tie a rag around the coil and soak it with water to cool it down and see if that cures it. If so, then I'll know it's the coil and replace it. If not, then I'll have to think about it and try something else.

As for a temporary measure until I solve it if it becomes chronic, lifting the hood is quick, cheap, and easy, albeit a bit embarrassing to drive down the road with your mouth open.

Last edited by Old Henry; 10-01-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote