View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
Joe K

Default Re: Tom Endy: Transmission Bearings (Hyatt style)

A further investigation of this forum reveals this has been discussed repeatedly on the board.

I myself have contributed to the discussion previously. MANY numbers are given as interchange for the A7118 (short) and A7121 (long) needle type bearings. Timken has an interchange number http://www.bearingstocks.com/docs/Ma...ence_Guide.pdf showing on their "equivalents" chart which in all cases of A7118, A7121 type is Timken J241248 - but a search of their web-site does not include this number (go figure?) The same number is shown associated with Hyatt and provided by at least two other bearing manufacturers, so I might assume that Timken "subcontracted" their supply to other makers and carried the other maker in stock under their own number/box.

Above I give "original" status to a hollow spiral spring based Hyatt Bearing. This may or may not be true. It is marked Hyatt. Also, I have found on Ebay a reported Hyatt bearing in A7118 style with the original box from the period - but the bearing is NOT hollow spring based. It may be another bearing that someone put back into a Hyatt box. The seller reports it is Hyatt 99028 (which is on the box, originally 2 bearings - see dimensions of the box - of which he has already sold one.)

So I guess at this point your mileage (and bearings) may vary. LOTS of bearings "out there" in many manufacturers. I would look for one in the Hyatt "spiral spring" construction, but one made as "tubular rolls" and assembled with through-shafts is the near equivalent.

Joe K