View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #118
RKS.PA

Default Re: 1942 Ford deluxe coupe project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
RKS.PA, Funny you mentioned the oil in the fan. Yesterday after spending most of a day pounding out the dent in the roof (I had help, thank God!) I started the car and had a chirp from the front of the car. I was thinking one of the China waterpumps had a problem. Took the generator belt off and the noise was still there. Removed fan belt and the noise went away. Took fan apart and cleaned everything. There was some oil but I'm guessing not enough. Also felt the fan belt was too tight and generator/waterpumps belt was too loose. Corrected that. Started back up and we're back to quiet. Probably a little heavy on oil level in fan. Anybody have any real world experience with Drake's sealed bearing unit?

John, good to have that fan issue behind you. When I did mine...in place...of course I "over oiled" it, so some drips on a shop rag overnight and then cleaned everything up.

On the Drake water pumps, I installed a pair on our '47 when I rebuilt the engine and sent the originals to Skip Haney. My plan was to have Skip's as a permanent solution when the Drake pumps failed....that was 5 years ago!! So far, so good!!

Best of luck.....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote