View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Synchro909

Unhappy Australian barners should read this

Although this is for Australian barners, I’ll explain a little so it makes some sense to others. As of July 1, the Australian government is clamping down on tax avoidance mostly aimed at multinational companies that move money around the world from one tax haven to another to avoid paying tax on profits made in the country where they were earned. This will have an impact on any purchases made from US vendors. We all know that Amazon US will no longer ship to Australia because they refuse to collect the 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax).
I have just been speaking with the owners of one of the more reputable Model A vendor companies and he said that to continue selling to Australians, he has to register with the Australian Government and do a return and send $ each month. At the moment, he has suspended sales to Oz and is evaluating whether or not it will be worth their while to set things up so he can collect the tax and submit it to the govt. It seems we have been caught up as collateral damage in a bigger battle. I expect the other vendors will be doing the same. Depending on what they each decide, maybe the days of being able to buy parts for our cars out of the US might be over. That would be a disaster for us.
I’m NOT being political here, I’m not asking anybody to take any action, I’m just stating the facts.