View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Uncle Bob

Default Re: 1936 Ford Grille Questions

Dan, I would encourage you to stick to the search for a good original. The level of workmanship and finish you've lavished on your car so far "demands" you do so. They're out there, you just need to keep at it.

I'm having a little CRS on this and was hoping one of the more nimble minded '36ers on here would pipe up. There were at least two versions of the factory grill for '36. The "one piece" being the more desireable, the multi piece the later production (speculated to be a cost saver for ol' Henry). I recall the repops are easy to spot in the way the bottom area for formed and welded together, but there are probably other immediate flags that would help you to not acquire another repop in error. I just can't remember what they are right now. Let's face it, some of the sellers honestly wouldn't know a repop from a stocker if they just happened to come into possession of a grill.

The '36 is one of the tougher front ends to get lined up properly, a good genuine Ford grille makes it a tad easier.