View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: Kansas plate toppers

In 1947 it would have been 1 Ton on the weight plate according to the Kansas information link I posted on #6. 1956 was the first year for the thousand pound single or double digit identifier with the "M" for standing for "maximum" gross vehicle weight. The 1-Ton plate would have been the same color as the tag for 1947.

8M or 8,000 lbs would be in the category of a 1-ton commercial vehicles. Ours had red decals with black characters due to them being for farm use. Plate colors changed every year from the 50s & till the early 70s. This changed when they started applying decals for the year change so they didn't have to stamp so many plates at the Lansing State Prison. 1951 was the first year they started embossing the plate with "TRUCK" in vertical fashion. Before that they all had a "T" followed by the county identifier number code and then the registration linear number for that county. Augusta, Kansas is in Butler county so the abbreviated identifier is BU. The old number code is No. 9 for Butler county.

I grew up in western Kansas but I haven't lived there for near 40 years. A friend of mine that I used to work with lived there near Augusta till he died.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote