View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Bill G

Default Re: Clutch/Tranny problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan35 View Post
My friend has a 1931 Phaeton. While driving the car the other day all was well for awhile. He made a normal stop at an intersection. When he tried to proceed he was unable to put the car into gear. The clutch pedal also felt soft. The gears ground whenever he tried to put it into gear. Had to have the car flatbedded home. While inspecting the car we noticed that the clutch release lever had a crack in it near the pin that holds it on the shaft. Even though it is cracked it appeared to work. At this point our skills ran out. With the car off, it can be shifted through the gears. We tried rocking the car in gear but nothing changed. Would appreciate any advice offered. Thanks, Stan.
Mine did the same thing not long ago, causing the clutch to not disengage. I got my new clutch arm from Bert's, but I replaced pretty much the whole clutch in the process. If the rest of your clutch is ok, then just the arm replacement should not be too hard to do. I did notice that when I bought the new arm, the part listed in the catalog did say that the original part was prone to breaking.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote