View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #18
Joe K

Default Re: What's wrong? Never thought I'd have to ask!

Quote:
I can't give it to you in degrees, but I have to move the lever about 9/16ths ( at the quadrant) off the zero mark.
Actually, that may be about right.

Big believer in Vince Falter over at his site www.fordgarage.com. One page in particular addresses the possibility of "overadvancing" the Model A timing.

From Vince's page. https://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdi...toradvance.htm

Quote:
The Model A ignition uses a zero crankshaft degree (TDC) initial timing point so that the engine can be easily started by hand crank, however it should never be run under load in this "retarded" position. The advance lever should always be advanced 1/3 to 1/2 travel (13 to 20 crankshaft degrees BTDC) on the steering column quadrant after starting the engine, and should generally not be run more than 3/4 advanced on the column under any normal circumstances.
Additional compression SHOULD increase this - but your number depends on where the starting point for your advance is.

By comparison Vince relates this to the Model B centrifugal distributor - which has even less "span" than the 3/4 advance specified above. But it does begin at a different "fully retarded point." The use of hand starting on the Model B would be less likely given a higher engine compression AND the developing practice of the user.

There are several methods to get to that Model A "start" (fully retarded) point repeatedly. The timing light method is probably the most accurate.

Joe K