View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Synchro909

Default Re: How do you balance your wheels / tires

I made a stand to which I welded a stub axle. I used second hand bearings and a little oil, not grease to lubricte them and adjusted them slightly on the loose side. I welded a piece of rod onto the drum to balance it, then I fit a wheel to the hub and add weight to the top once it settles (the heavy spot goes to the bottom). Mine are 21" wheels so the hammer on weights are not possible. I use either the stick on ones or I wrap a piece of lead around a spoke as outlined above.
My favourite way of doing that is to melt the lead out of an old battery and pour it into the Vee of a piece of preheated angle iron (with a piece of flat welded over the ends) I use masking tape and modern weights to get the balance right, then add up the weights I used. I weigh the long srtrip of lead I cast and measure its length. It is a simple calculation to work out where to cut it. I then put some tape around the spoke and wind it on. A little paint and viola! Smooth driving.