Thread: axle threads
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #13
larrys40

Default Re: axle threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I bought a spare axle in pieces and one of the shafts has trashed threads about a third of the way in. I had a club member use his axle thread tool to restore what was left of them and ended up with the first picture. Now I can screw an axle nut all the way up to the point and beyond where the cotter pin goes. My question is, is this a good shaft? I have access to a good axle from the same club member. Should keep this one in reserve?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
They sound Marginal and probably not enough solid threads for a full torque/use.
I would recommend finding/using only axles with very good threads on them. With clean threads on the axle and nut, your want to thread the nut on and test to make sure there is no wiggle or wobble in the threads with the nut on the shaft. It should be a good snug fit. I agree original nuts in good condition are the best if available. If the axle needs replacing because the threads are bad then replace it. Depending on the condition of the rear end and needed service at the time it can be done as a repair job with the axle still in the car or a rebuild with removal of the unit and complete disassembly and rebuild.

Thread repair tools do can help do an emergency fix ( clamp on style/thread restorers) but I would not use any dies as they will cut good metal off that is better pulled back to shape with " thread restorers" as I mentioned.

I have done partial replacement/ repairs ( to fix a broken axle) start to finish in 3 hours without removing the entire axle. The radius and axle housing drivers side together snaked out and removed and then the axle/carrier assembly removed for repair. It is possible.... If you have someone schooled in rear axles in your area I would have them help inspect what you have and need to have done for a solid permanent repair. I would discourage against temporary fixes.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote