View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #34
Synchro909

Default Re: Rear Hub Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Not at the moment. I’ve had my hands full with other repairs (radiator replacement, ignition switch replacement, horn cleaning, adding a tachometer, replacing the temperature gauge, etc.) for weeks. I still need to grease both wheel bearings, lubricator the car, and change the oil.

I was fortunate enough to work from home during the COVID-19 stuff; so, I’m only working on the car on evenings and weekends. Plus, since I’m new at this, I’ve been moving slow in hopes of not making any major mistakes.

Changing out an axle is above my current skill set.

I presume you have changed out a number of axles. Based on your experience, how long does it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long is a piece of string! Some people work quicker than others and I don't know what equipment you have but there is a fair amount of work in it. For a start, you'll need a spring spreader so the rear end can be opened. There is no need to take it right out. Take the tension off the spring, remove the two brake drums and hubs and remove the LHS trumpet. You will then be able to pull the axles and diff centre out of the housing. From there, it is easy to change the axle. The pinion stays where it was.