View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #243
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

With summer winding down I got some time today to work on the passenger side front door. I decided to get a few pictures of this process. Once again I drilled out the hinge rivets in a rotten pickup truck door to use as woodie hinges. I had to weld up some of the holes I didn't need and drill and countersink the rest for #14 wood screws. I mortised them into my laminated maple front door stiles and re-drilled the hinges for oversized pins. The pins are made from an old screwdriver I got at a yard sale. I will be welding thick washers on for heads for these new pins. As on the driver's side I am assembling this door within it's opening because of the twisted shape as it mates into the cowl. The rear stile was milled to fit the door jamb and held with a temporary screw to hold it in place. Tomorrow after work I plan to rout the vertical grooves that hold the panels as well as the mahogany marine plywood splines that join the door parts together with the 3m 5200 marine adhesive/sealant and hardened star drive construction lags. With a spline as opposed to Henry's mortise and tenon, both horizontal and vertical members have a 3/8 x 3/4" deep groove and a 1 1/2" strip of marine plywood is inserted and glued in with the 5200. Strong and resilient joint, but tough to pull apart to repair.....It feels good to be back at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passenger front door 011.jpg (68.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 014.jpg (78.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 018.jpg (80.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 026.jpg (73.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 049.jpg (66.1 KB, 113 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote