View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #174
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

1. My ethanol experience was with a newly acquired Model A in late 2006.

2. The problem appeared to be my adding ethanol gas in the Model A gas tank, & allowing it to stay in there for 2-1/2 years during partial restoration, while it dissolved my previously "sealed" gas tank.

3. Had no idea what kind of sealer was previously used prior to my acquiring it; however, upon re-starting the engine with ethanol gas & driving only for about (20) miles in my eldest son's wedding, the entire inside of the carburetor & the entire inside of the intake manifold turned jet black with a tar-like goo substance.

4. First tried cleaning the carburetor & intake black goo with paint thinner, then Acetone, next gasoline; however, a mixture of waterbased POR 15 Marine Clean immediately dissolved it, & worked even far better when the water was hot -- one (1) part POR 15 Marine Clean to four (4) parts hot water.

5. Later made up another same batch mix of POR Marine Clean with hot water, added about (2) gallons to the gas tank, rocked entire Model A from side to side, & front to back for about (10) minutes & repeated rocking within an hour. Allowed mix to sit in tank overnight & drained it the next morning whereby the clear thin mix turned black.

6. Repeated paragraph 5. above, but this time when drained, the POR 15 mix was a lot clearer.

7. Followed by filling gas tank to about 1/3 with only hot water for a rinse, shaking vehicle & after draining, the water was quite clear.

8. Allowed the tank to dry overnight, then filled with non-ethanol gas with about (4) ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil.

9. Just was lucky to have an old tank sealer that could be dissolved with a water based cleaning product which was designed to clean oil & grease from oily & greasy metal.

10. So common to read so many reported different Model A experiences.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-01-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote