View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Cause of hot ignition coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Is your coil wire to the distributor facing up or down? A lot of the new coils are oil filled and only like to sit upright with the coil wire in the up position. When on their side ir upside down the oil doesn’t cover all the windings and they heat up. To go upside down you may have to go with an epoxy filled coil. They’ll go in any direction.
I've heard this many times on this forum, but I think ALL coils were oil filled when Model As were produced and I don't think Epoxy had been invented yet. (5,000,000) Model A coils were originally mounted with the connectors pointed down.

I know (20,000,000) VW Bugs and (500,000) MGBs also mounted the coils with the connectors pointed down (and there are probably others. Seems like a preferred, more weather proof mounting system). I hang out on forums with the Bug and MGB groups. No discussion of coils failing when mounted in the factory orientation.

Is there any science or manufacturer instructions that anyone can point to that backs up the "upside down" oil filled coil claim? Not just anecdotal data, but actual science or manufacturer instructions?