View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
koates

Default Re: Charging System Will Not Work Under A Load

billy, I stated in my earlier post NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THE VOLTAGE. If you adjust the third brush up to just break even with standard bulb headlights on with some revs up then that is all you can get safely out of the gen. At that setting the charge with the headlights off will be around 15 amps on the ammeter. This is not an automatic system like on a later model car. If you have a longer drive with lights off then the battery would be overcharged. You have to set the third brush to the driving conditions you usually use. If you drive mostly with the lights OFF then adjust the third brush to charge at about five amps with some revs up. As I said this is a very simple system that does not compensate for the batteries condition (flat or charged up)or what lights you have turned on. The only way to automatically cover all situations is to fit a later model two brush generator (1939 onwards) with a three unit voltage regulator or a modern alternator which is available as a six volt positive ground unit. The car has survived for the last eighty plus years so far with its original system so why mess it up with something different, just work with it as is. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote