View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #39
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Steering dampener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider58 View Post
Comments in the thread, just like yours, indicate if one does not like the way The car handles, it must be worn out.

More experienced folks have driven the car and said it is fine. I do not like the amount of bump steer / groove tracking. I can drive it with no issues, but had to ask if it could be better.

Yes, is the answer. For me, and perhaps others who find driving their car is a bit too much work to be truly enjoyable, the steering stabilizer works well.

As Henry built sitting in the garage or slightly modified on the road? I like to drive my toy.

With all due respect, I have been around a Model-A for awhile now, --both as a hobbyist and as a professional. The very symptoms that you speak of based on my experience as a professional Model-A mechanic indicates something is worn beyond factory specification. You need not believe what I am telling you is factual, however I will share some additional views for others to think about.

One of the key reasons why a Ford Model-A has survived the test of time is the level of engineering and quality of materials the vehicle had when it was manufactured. These vehicles were driven on roads in a time where speeds were ever increasing, and they did so safely and with durability. One also needs to realize these good roads back then are consider poor by today's standards. This is not to imply that Model-A suspensions did not wear however many of these vehicles have been driven well over 100,000 miles with little maintenance nor upkeep. Therefore to infer that (y)our toy must be modified in some manner to be driven on poor roads today is not a factual statement. Again, these vehicles were designed for driving conditions like the very roads you are complaining about. So if they could successfully do it back then, but yours can't do it now, then what is the culprit? Matter of fact, we were successfully driving these cars on poor roads some 2-3 decades ago without the need for any stabilizers.

FWIW, based on what you have suggested in your posts above, my initial thoughts are that your vehicle has a worn & sagging front spring that is allowing the spring hangers (shackles) to 'rock' creating the lateral movement you complained about earlier. In addition, I suspect the front radius rod (wishbone) ball has wear that is allowing the front end to move around and has changed the front-end caster setting. Either or both of these conditions can cause the vehicle to drive normally in a straight line however these conditions can create a dangerous condition (i.e.: like wandering or darting) in certain road conditions due to the wear. Based on your comments above, I know you were really wanting to install a damper, -and that is your prerogative however I also feel fairly certain that in your condition, the dampener has created a false sense of cure for a front end assembly that is not in as good of condition as you (-and other 'experienced folks' believe it is. Please do not be upset with me for telling you the facts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote