View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #46
Brace Bailey

Default Re: Looking for a new Pickup Bed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Missed the bed and cab. It is just as well that I continue my bed project as I’m all in.
Decided to install my new white Oak boards and stainless strips. First thing I discovered is that the slots in the boards don’t match the width of the stainless strips (or the black ones I have as extra either). If I move the boards out so the strips fit into the groves... there is a gap of bout 1/2 inch around the square steel plate that goes over the rear end.

So, the first picture shows the wood installed in the the correct location - (tight against the 1/4” stainless bolts in the strips, and on into to the bed cross members. I put the masking tape down first so I could trace the edges with a ball point pen. Then take it all apart again and head to the table saw to re-grove the oak.

Last picture after I cut all the groves, sander sealed and lacquered the edges. I also had to cut 1/8” off each cut-out for the center plate.
I went to install all the polished stainless cap bolts- and discovered I had lost 11
Of them. Hunted everywhere- even my blue jeans in the laundry.... no luck.
After about an hour... and looking at the two pictures, I determined that I only got 28 of them (for the strips) and am short the 14 that go down the sides on the outside boards.
Senior moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0911E5F7-63BD-4D3F-A2F9-CB7E155821C0.jpg (62.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 70A4DDE7-DA08-4B45-AB76-814BF4941304.jpg (59.0 KB, 25 views)
Brace Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote