View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #48
mrtexas

Default Re: New at this. 1930 Model A 3 window Murray

IMHO the market for Model As is very soft. I had a hard and long time selling a roadster and roadster pickup that were freshly restored and very nice, like new. Lost 1/3+ of my invested $$. You will be ahead $ wise buying a finished car even if you were to get the car for free if you intend to restore it. For example a minimum of $2000 to restore the brakes alone! I paid $4000 for a paint job and I supplied the paint($1500 minimuim) and considered that a bargain. $4-5000 easy on the motor. $2000 on chrome. Parts? Who knows. So $7500+$14500=$22000. You can get a very good 4 door $22k you can enjoy today not 2-3 years minimum in the future. Haven't mentioned interior, $3k+. This counts hundreds of hours of your labor for free. I didn't save the receipts from Model A parts houses. I didn't want to know the total. You want a hobby? Fine, but Model A is not a cheap hobby.

Best question to ask is what condition of a car do you want? Then go buy one. Took me a while to figure that one out. I don't want one in poor mechanical condition. Don't want one with flaking paint and threadbare interior. After 6 restorations I've had enough of being a mechanic, was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-19-2017 at 08:53 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote