View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
RGG

Default Transmission Mystery

I need some advice. I have a stock 1930 Model A Coupe with the only modifications being running 40 Ford wheels. One day after leaving a stop sign it started jerking and had a horrible loud knocking noise coming from the transmission. After pulling over I discovered that I could go in second gear without the noise. Fortunately, I was close to the house and was able to nurse it home. I decided that I had broke first gear in the transmission.

Well, I just happened to have another transmission in my basement so I pulled the motor and trans and swapped it out. When I examined the trans it did not actually look bad but I went ahead and swapped it out. After all this work I took her out for a test drive and the same noise and jerking was there. I was not happy to say the least.

So this time, I pulled the rearend and tourqe tube out. The end of the driveshaft showed damage at the end of the shaft, but it was only for the first quarter of an inch. I noticed that the u-joint bolt was loose and decided that was the culprit! So I thightened it up and went ahead and replaced the upper driveshaft bearing. After putting everything back together I backed out if the driveway and then put it in first gear. Same problem!!! I was furious but tried to ease her back in the garage with it making a racket. I got it in but this time I had another surprise, a trail of trans dope and a piece of cast iron. It blew out a piece of the transmission case at the drain plug.

I am at a lost and would appreciate any advice...

Thanks.

RGG
RGG is offline   Reply With Quote