View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default "Upgrades": How far would you go?

After reading this, there are those who would consider me a Hot Rodder, and others who would think me a Purist. I do consider myself a Purist, but not radically so. In other words:
I would look with favor on adjustible lifters in an early model.
I appreciate an Optima 6v battery skillfully concealed within a Script battery case.
'39 - '48 gearsets in an earlier transmission.
Correctly installed floaters in mechanical brakes.
Of these kinds of upgrades, the machining of axle housings to accept new bearing races would of course be the most defensible.
These "Upgrades" seem to me to be perfectly logical and not hypocritical at all.

There is another sort of upgrade of which I do not understand, unless done on an all-out Hot Rod:
Electronic ignition.
Solid state radio conversion.
Air conditioning.
Solid state voltage regulators.
12 volt conversions.
Alternators.
Radial tires.
The most understandable of these type of upgrades of course, would be conversion to hydraulics.

I hasten to add that I dislike Billet, of which the above upgrades (and more) are a natural choice. Traditional Hot Rods are, in my opinion, the best of both worlds, appreciated by, I would think, most everyone in the (Early Ford) hobby but the most radical of Purists.

Being one man and one opinion, it would be interesting to read of other opinions. I'm hoping to generate a reasoned discussion here, so my question is:
Does my opinion differ from the majority, or are most Barners on board with me?