View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
delco1946

Default Just rebuilt transmission

Morning all, I just had my 1955 fordomatic rebuilt and have about 100 miles on it. It has very firm shifts now which I don’t like but it seems(?) to be getting softer. They reused the original plates which were in good shape and rebuilt the torque converter. They recommended tracter oil (5 or 10 weight) which seemed good - they seemed to know their stuff and didn’t recommend type f ( I’m not asking about oil so let’s not side tangent into that ). I am curious as to when others’ shift into 3rd? It used to shift into 3rd around 25 mph, rarely downshifted into 1st. Now it won’t shift into 3rd until 40 to 45 mph if I’m even feathering the gas. Did I just get used to an old sickly transmission? Is this a better range? It’s certainly louder and will result in worse miles due to higher rpms but I’d prolly get better acceleration/control. When Does yours shift? Also, I’m a little concerned about what feels like a hesitation/slip when starting from a stop light ( in 2nd). It takes a couple seconds for it to feel as responsive as it used to unless you gas it and force it to down shift. Is this a band adjustment? I go back in a couple hundred miles for a free check/ adjustment so I want to know what to ask for.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote